Requirements for the user:
1) user-brand new high quality/amperage 18650s
2) user-fully charged and balanced before pack installation
3) user-charges pack with certified 3S LiPO charge controller
1) pack -waterproof (1 foot of water for 1 minute)/(done)
2) pack-short circuit protected (done)
3) pack-low voltage/9V cut off (done)
4) pack-fully compatible with light saver max (testing)
-this is the purpose of the 3rd power pole connection
5) pack-internal BMS successfully handles the un-regulated (kinda) voltages generated by the light saver “12v” output (testing)
6) pack -output 9A to support continuous 50W of output from the TX-500 and PA500 in SSB at a 25% duty cycle for 30mins (testing)
Storage requirements for any period beyond 2 days:
1) user -each cell is discharged to the appropriate storage voltage
2) user -each cell is remove and stored in a fire safe container
3) user -the cells are stored at a safe distance from the TX/PA assembly (the batteries catching fire is fine, the TX and the PA catching fire is not)
Are you able to make the battery pack photos into a gallery that can show larger versions? Nice work.
It isn’t super smooth, because you have to click a couple times, but the full images are now available. I’ll fix it when I am back on my computer. I’m doing this from the phone.
Please note that this is a testing prototype, so it is a bit beat up, and the design is not finalized, but close.
I love this – being able to have the battery pack, PA and rig all tied together and form a stand is awesome
Have you looked at a LiFePO4 solution for a better discharge curve with perhaps a cleaner TX ? Higher voltage to these rigs typically means cleaner output….
73 and looking forward to your pack
I have, but pound for pound the LiPOs can’t be beat. I have a set of LiPOs, which are ~10Ah, which weigh 105g. The equivalent LiFePO4 weighs in at 1,087g, which is 10 times heavier. The LiFePO4 are at a slightly higher voltage, so really they have a bit more power, but no 10x more. You get the point. I actually have LiPO powering my house, but they are really scary, so will be replacing them with LiFePO4, which not only nearly completely compressed my jeep’s springs, but I was extremely lucky that I didn’t injure my back seriously. I got away with being very sore for a week.
The prototype looks great! Any ETA on a production model?
All the mounts are completed for the TX-500, IC-705, & KX3; so the battery is next. It should be available for sale by the second week of Dec 2021.
Any update on the battery pack? I want to purchase the TX-599 Stand and battery pack as a single purchase, so I’m waiting to hear from you that its(TX-599 battery pack) is ready for sale. Thanks.
Hey Gary, The battery is ready, but I’m working on the PA500s right now, so that is taking up all my time. I will reach out to you in a couple of weeks when my day job settles down. Been a bit crazy, because of what is happening in Europe right now.
I would like to purchase a battery back and Frame for TX-500. What do I need to do? I’m Ready! 73 DE K4KHO
The battery pack is on hold for the minute, because of the multiple work streams going on. I plan to have it in full production in June of this year. Thanks and 73, Ed
I’m also interested in a battery pack. Like you, I’m quite cautious about LiPo batteries. But I have a handful of small ones for my drones.
Also, please recommend a balance charger.
Have you looked at Illumn.com as a battery source? I’ve bought from them for my flashlights and they seem to be a good source. My batteries are still going strong after a couple of years.
Battery Junction has high capacity high discharge LG 18650 button tops for about eight bucks each.
Any idea when the BP500 and the PA500 will be available?
I would also like to order the frame for TX500 but would like to order all items in one purchase.
Cesare 73 Ve3dig
The PA500 has a very long waiting list (~1 year). Sign up here: https://theqrpstore.com/product/waitlist-reservation/
The battery is basically unobtainium, and is currently only bundled in theQRPstation: https://theqrpstore.com/product/the-qrp-station/
note: When you buy an amp from me, the frame is included, so don’t buy the frame unless you already have an amp.
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment.